Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Labor Day Extravaganza

My friends and I decided to take a little "roadie" to the Grand Canyon for Labor Day. We were off to the south rim which is 3.5 hours away for a lunch picnic and fun times.....
Well at least that was the plan!!!
Every good road trip requires a hearty breakfast! Thanks IHOP !
Me and my room mate Ali
We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.


How many Wheat Thins can you get into your mouth?
Every road trip requires a little eathing challenge.
I had a picture of Brian on here...and I don't know where it went...but he had an ENORMOUS stack of crackers. I swear he ate the entire time. He also took the challenge to eat a hamburger in one bite...he did it!
After what seemed like 5 hours or so Ali and I (from the back seat) asked if we were lost. Alison assured us that she had the directions and since we were having a good time we didn't press the issue too much...but we were starting to get a little worried. Here we are in Page, AZ/Lake Powel. From where I am standing I could have tossed a rock into Utah! We were not only headed in the wrong direction...we were no where near the Grand Canyon. Once we got to the gas station I asked the clerk how to get to the GC and he said that it was 100+ miles away. We did not drive all that way to drive home, so we jumped back into the car and headed in the right direction. Grand Canyon here we come!
Alison (the driver), Me, and Brian (no comment...)
don't even ask what i am doing...i am not sure myself!

Are we ever going to get there?

We made it!
When we arrived at the park ranger told us that we only had about 1/2 hour before the sun was completly set (and we were still 15 miles away)...it was a race between us and time. We won! We got there in time to watch the sunset, hike, and take pictures for about 45 min.

Emily, Alison, Ali
looking worked from sitting in the car...ALL day

The entire Labor Day Crew finally at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It was so worth it to keep on driving and finally get there. It really is a beautiful sight to see.
So the trip started, after IHOP, at 10:00 am. and we finally got home around 3:00 am. total hours 17!

This is a video that I love of my roomie Ali. It shows her fun personality and you can tell why I love hanging out with her...and why being stuck in the back seat of the tiny car was so fun!

Photobucket


4 comments:

Natalie said...

LOVING it. I have a sneaking suspicion I might like this Ali person you speak of.

As the driver, I got my whole car-full almost all the way to the wrong end of lake powell - hey! the same end you were at. It took us about 10 hours total to make the 6 hour drive. But girl, 17 hours takes the cake. You win.

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun! Send me your email address so I can invite you to my blog!

Anonymous said...

might help if I gave you my email :)
mandibelger@yahoo.com

Corinne said...

I didn't realize you had a blog! I was born in AZ, lived there till I was 12 and then lived for for 3 years while I was married and I have yet to go to the Grand Canyon...looks beautiful!